Sunday, November 18, 2007

B to Z are not needed

When I'm left to face a problematic kid, I always tend to give him some talks, not lectures but talks.

Big talks like, "you have to start thinking about what you want to do in the future because you can't possibly play games for your whole life", and "a person cannot always demand things to be your way because that is selfish".

And then I would expect him to have absorbed what I said to him just minutes ago and now he must be a good boy and do his work.

But when he sat there not responding to you, fidgeting around, clearly listening to you but most probably not absorbing, my patience level is threatened.

I didn't shout at the kid. I told him, if he wants me to do things his way, that is, to stop giving him work, stop forcing him to memorise 'drink drank drunk, fly flew flown', and end the lesson as soon as possible so he can go out and watch his VCD, fine, I'll do it his way. (in the first place it seems that he won't start his work in any time soon, and hello I've got a home to return to, I can't sit there for god-knows-how-long more for him to pick up his pencil and be unpaid for and most undesirably, before I blew up on a scale worse than the recently erupted volcano in Indo)

I left the place with screams bottled up. And I felt like giving a punch to the b*tch who pressed the button at the traffic light so many times (you know how irritating the noise is) to show how pressed she is for time. Not as if green man will appear instantaneously like your genie in your lamp.

My big talks are just empty talks.

I'm expecting the kid to do what I said too. I'm being selfish too. If he was thinking this way, he must be hating me.

To be an educator, is about putting up a show. To be a good educator, is about telling lies to the world and yourself.

I don't know if I can be a true educator, because at the end of day, assuring students to do well in academics is still the assigned responsibility and ultimate motive.

At the end of day, after receiving more than 10 years of education, all that we learnt is, 75 means an A, the remaining 25 alphabets are redundant.

Putting this heavy topic aside, Takuya Kimura is so cute in his new Gatsby ad.

1 comment:

yellowlemonie said...

sometimes, (i think), it might help to take a step back to just chat to the poor chap and befriend him, though i admit it's easier said than done... and it takes time too... :)

but you do sound like you'll make an excellent educator/teacher! gambatte! :)

~kenny